A friend of mine had planned a rather “quick” wedding, as in, she didn’t spend a year deciding on a location or colour palettes and all the extra details of what seems to be the trend nowadays. She fell in love with a simple strapless light powder blue dress that all of her bridesmaids agreed on.
During their first official try-on session, they all decided they did not need any alterations. Then a few short weeks later, the week of the wedding as a matter of fact, they began to realize they weren’t quite perfect. The girls were all a different size and different height.
My friend sent a text on the Tuesday asking if I would be able to look at them for her, to which I of course replied with a self-assured: “I’ll have a look!” Honestly not knowing if I had anywhere near the skill level required to make whatever alterations would be required. When the bride and one of her girls came to my home I was not sure what to expect. But I was thankful it wasn’t a floor length sequin filled gown!
After lengthy discussion we decided to try lowering the hem on one of the dresses so that it fell to the same place around the knee that the second one did. It was simply due to the presentation, the 5’8 girl looked slightly more scandalous with the short length compared to the 5’3 girl.
My mother decided up front that I was insane, not something new to me of course! But a friend needed me so by-golly I was going to find a way to make this magical transformation happen! Haha – okay I may have exaggerated, lowering a hem may not be that exciting. The process took four hours that same evening all done by hand. The saving grace of this project was how poorly the dresses were made in the first place if you can imagine that. As awful as it sounds the zipper seams had already opened with one try-on session, the overlay for the crinoline wasn’t even sewn down. I’m sure if I had just left the zipper seams as is, you would see the crinoline exposed!
So first step was to tackle the hemline, which was pinned over and over just to make sure the poofy hemline was not disturbed. I used the unwanted sash that came with the dresses to add a layer underneath which would be sewn into the lining and connect the bottom, while hiding the crinoline which remained untouched. Using this extra piece I was able to lower the hem by about three or four inches! A relatively simple fix actually all said and done. Hand stitched in place so guests would be none the wiser that any change had been made.
In this photo you can see the crease from the lowered hemline.